Growing up in Utah, it was a tradition to visit 4-5 local cemeteries on Memorial Day and post flowers on our grandparents' graves.
After I moved to Arizona, I missed that tradition. We'd try to take our children to the Mesa Cemetery to visit loved ones buried there, but it often was on a different day than Memorial Day due to heat or crowds or other conflicts.
After I moved to Arizona, I missed that tradition. We'd try to take our children to the Mesa Cemetery to visit loved ones buried there, but it often was on a different day than Memorial Day due to heat or crowds or other conflicts.
A year ago I found a new way to carry on the tradition of my childhood. I visit the cemeteries of my ancestors online through the website Find-a-Grave.
(It even allows you to post flowers virtually, but I don't go that far.)
This morning Elder Ellsworth and I visited all of our deceased parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents graves going back 4 generations, and it took less than 15 minutes. We traveled from Arizona, to Utah, to Mississippi, to Tennessee, to North Carolina, and to Mexico. We are grateful to be able to honor our ancestors in this small way as we remember them for their sacrifices and love for family.
You can check for your ancestors graves by going to:
findagrave.com
and beginning your own search. If you are lucky, someone has them already linked together and has posted biographies and pictures. There are all kinds of golden nuggets
waiting to be discovered there.
No comments:
Post a Comment