“Isn’t it true that we often
get so busy? And, sad to say, we even
wear our busyness as a badge of honor, as though being busy, by itself, was an
accomplishment or sign of a superior life.”
Today I reread Pres.
Uchtdorf’s talk given in last general conference. Of all the significant thoughts
he shared, the concept of busyness struck a chord in me and motivated me to
write this blog post. You see, I lived
many years as a busy mom carrying the stress of trying to do everything I
expected of myself. The problem
was, my expectations were not realistic and were seldom attained. That led to feelings of frustration and failure. It was only years later that I realized that my “to do” list would never be
completely checked off no matter how fast I hurried or how proficient at multi-tasking I became. I
was always hurrying to accomplish more and to do it as well as others, feeling through it all that that was part of what defined success (and wondering why life was so hard).
President went on to say . . .
“I think of our Lord and
Exemplar, Jesus Christ, and His short life among the people of Galilee and
Jerusalem. I have tried to imagine
Him bustling between meetings or multitasking to get a list of urgent things
accomplished.
I can’t see it.”
Being unhurried, becoming
“unbusy,” is a gift we have received on our mission. Much of the busy-ness of life has been taken away. We have a simple focus - service. The temple, where we spend the majority of our time, is not a place to be in a
hurry, and whenever I see someone who is, it doesn’t feel right.
For example . . .
I admire the example of coordinators
who are constantly adjusting the schedules of workers to meet urgent
needs, but doing it with calm dignity.
I overhear workers speaking words slowly, reverently, humbly, kindly, and I know that the things that matter most are not hurried.
When I serve as greeter, as I do almost daily, I enjoy seeing the
contrast between patrons arriving (hurrying, breathing hard, checking their
watches, filled with concern and urgency) and patrons leaving (calm, happy,
content, at peace). It is a
miraculous transformation that happens daily in
the House of the Lord.
I hope when I return home, I
will continue to remember that busyness is not a badge of honor. I always want to take the time to enjoy
the journey and to be available to assist others and in the ways that really matter
along the path.


No comments:
Post a Comment