December 13, 1928 - May 18, 2015
Before I ever met my husband, I knew my father-in-law. I first met him in 1979. He is surely the most influential man in my life next to my husband and father. In the beginning, he was my employer, my mentor, and my example in education. After a year, unbeknownst to me, he became my matchmaker. For the last three decades he has been my father-in-law, my example of parenting, my friend, and my go-to person for advice.
I remember well this verbal exchange: "Hadley (my maiden name), when you have time, come see me in my office!" I can still hear his booming voice on campus as I passed him and see in my mind's eye that look of someone who really enjoyed life and the work he did.
When I went to his office, curious about why he would want to talk to me, he invited me in and said, "Close the door, please." He NEVER closed his door to my knowledge. I knew him to be an open-door administrator.
He slowly swirled his chair around to face me and bluntly asked, "How would you like to go out with my son?" .
Seriously . . . there is only one answer to that question when you are a relatively new faculty member. Before many days had passed, I was on blind date with his second-oldest son.
The rest is history.
While I have always admired Reed as a school principal respected by his staff, a person with a gift for leadership, and and one who had a gift for working with young people, I later came to admire him as a family-man, a man devoted to God, and a great next-door neighbor (25 years). As a school administrator, he believed in his teachers' capacity and brought out the best in them through his trust and praise. As a father and grandfather he gave his posterity an abundance of love and sincere praise to help them feel good about themselves and to succeed and to accomplish whatever they sought after in life.
I don't have a favorite memory of Reed, but I'll never forget his administrative ability and the way he helped kids to find themselves. The latter blessed our family, particularly my six children. He loved them, and they loved him. He taught them by precept and by example. They received the best of all he had to give, and in return they blessed his life.
Reed Ellsworth, who passed away last night, lived a good life and fought with patience a good fight. He endured well to the end, and his example of love, leadership, and devotion to his beliefs will live on in many of his children.
His favorite scripture which he quoted often:
"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." (D&C 82:10)
I am grateful for the doctrine of eternal families and for the divine power that comes with making and keeping sacred covenants, which covenants link us together forever. I know that Reed's spirit continues to live on and that we will be with him again one day.


No comments:
Post a Comment