While the room where the Lord had the
Last Supper with his disciples no longer exists as it was 2000 years ago, the
space certainly does. We went to
the site of this event after visiting Mount Zion in the Upper City
and the traditional site of the Tomb of King David. In the
room near there, located on the upper floor, we felt a familiar, peaceful, calm spirit as
we meditated on what the Bible teaches about the Savior’s
final night. Here, where the
ordinance of the sacrament was administered in conjunction with Passover, is
where His time was spent before he departed for the Garden of Gethsemene. The sacrament, so common to us
today as we partake weekly of this experience, takes on even deeper
significance when viewed in the context of His atoning sacrifice.
And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and
blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat;
this is my body.
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to
them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is
shed for many for the remission of sins.
But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of
this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my
Father’s kingdom.
And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into
the mount of Olives. (Mathew 26:26-30)
We also read in Luke’s account . . .
And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us
the passover, that we may eat.
And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we
prepare?
And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered
into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow
him into the house where he entereth in.
And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The
Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the
passover with my disciples?
And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished:
there make ready.
And they went, and found as he had said unto them:
and they made ready the passover.
And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the
twelve apostles with him.
And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to
eat this passover with you before I suffer:
For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof,
until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God.
And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take
this, and divide it among yourselves:
For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of
the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and
gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in
remembrance of me.
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup
is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. (Luke 22: 9-20)






No comments:
Post a Comment