Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Temple Mount


Another of our favorite spots was the Dome of the Rock on the Temple Mount in Old Jerusalem.  To go on the mount required standing in a line, going through security, and being modestly dressed (as in long sleeves, head covered, etc.).  As we approached the checkpoint, I got in the pouch where my passport was stored and noticed my temple recommend which I had brought with me to Israel.  It felt ironic to me that we had to show identification before being admitted to this area so sacred to the Muslims and many others. 



 Our group near the Shrine


The Western Wall

Although I’ve seen diagrams and read descriptions of the Temple Mount, words and pictures do not do it justice.  The enormity and antiquity of the space, and the future significance that this area holds, combined with the history that has occurred there, filled our thoughts.  A remarkably exquisite shrine built in 691 A.D. was beautiful to behold as were the arches, columns, and massive stone steps.  Only at certain times and on certain days can non-Muslims come to this spot, and when the designated time was up, we were firmly and quickly told we must leave . . . now!  There was no negotiating the fact, even though we were separated from our group.  
We were each directed out the nearest exit which resulted in us becoming lost from one another for an hour or so.  As for the three of us who were together, we experienced the Muslim quarter of the city - a section in which we had not previously been.  I can’t say it was a particularly friendly part of Old Jerusalem, but we were soon back in the Jewish sector and in familiar territory.  I liked being able to experience the inside of the eastern wall, having already seen it up close on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment