Doug and I recently returned
from a two-week stay in Israel, seeing and experiencing sites we have read and
learned about for years as we’ve studied the Bible. But until we experienced these sacred spots for ourselves,
we really had no understanding of the depth and significance of the spot where
our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, was born, lived, and ministered, and the
place where he took upon himself the sins of all mankind and gave us hope of
eternal life through His merits.
We will never be the same.
To try to get our minds
around the fact that in some of these very locations the most important events
in the world (actually in the universe) occurred, was difficult at best. We felt humbled, grateful, and in awe every
single day.
As I record my thoughts
about this experience, I will not follow a chronological order. I will simply record memories and
feelings while they are yet fresh in my mind.
A few facts to start with .
. . we traveled with four friends from New York. Three of them work for the Church Education System. The fourth was a fellow temple worker during the time we served in the Palmyra Temple.
He is a professional photographer and took all the pictures you will see
posted. (We first got to know him
when he photographed Nori and Travis’s wedding.)
Our travels went from
January 24th to February 6th. We flew into Tel Aviv and rented a car, and as a group we traveled from one end of
Israel to the other.
Several times
we were close to the borders of neighboring countries (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, and
Egypt). We marveled that a war was
raging within miles of where we were.
While signs of conflict were often observed, we never felt unsafe; in
fact, it was just the opposite.
Tourists were welcomed and treated well. We were in a melting pot, so to speak, and were always
surrounded by groups of people diverse in language, dress, religion, and
customs. They came from all parts of the world, choosing Jerusalem and the Holy
Land for a similar purpose – religion and learning from the past.
![]() |
| Watch for camels. Really?! |
I walked today where Jesus walked,
In days of long ago.
I wandered down each path He knew,
With reverent step and slow.
I walked today where Jesus walked,
And felt His presence there.
In days of long ago.
I wandered down each path He knew,
With reverent step and slow.
I walked today where Jesus walked,
And felt His presence there.
The Garden Tomb site is located just outside the walls of Old Jerusalem near Damascus
Gate. There, in the middle of a
congested, chaotic, and not very appealing part of the city was hidden a
peaceful, serene garden . . . the place where many believe Jesus Christ was
crucified, placed in a sepulcher, and rose again on the third day. This is what I wrote about it: “A highlight of our trip (there were
many) was visiting the Garden Tomb.
The morning was overcast with a little bit of rain and cooler
temperatures. This worked in our
favor by discouraging others from coming that morning, so we were able to be
unrushed. We arrived as it opened
and found the garden almost empty, very quiet and peaceful, and freshly cleansed
from the rain. Norm was our guide,
and what an amazing guide he was!
Though not a member of our faith, he had a burning testimony of Jesus
Christ and enthusiastically shared the message to all who would listen that He
lives! We listened earnestly to
everything he had to share. He
taught us much, and we loved him for it.
After the tour, we had all the time we wanted for quiet reflection and
to observe and experience this place that draws nearly 300,000 visitors of all
faiths annually. The important
thing to me was the feelings I had as I stood both inside and outside the tomb. These feelings were not new to me; I’ve
felt them many times during temple worship. The Holy Ghost was there and witnessing to each one of us
that this was a sacred and significant spot. To consider that in all the universe, this was the very
place where our Savior was resurrected that all may live again . . . it was more
than words can convey!”
And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him,
this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
(D & C 76:22)
Watch Pres. Hinckley's testimony of the risen Christ filmed at the garden tomb by going to this link:
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses/video/president-gordon-b-hinckley-1910-2008-garden-tomb.html
this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
(D & C 76:22)
Watch Pres. Hinckley's testimony of the risen Christ filmed at the garden tomb by going to this link:
http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/special-witnesses/video/president-gordon-b-hinckley-1910-2008-garden-tomb.html











No comments:
Post a Comment